8-10 apples (peeled, cored and sliced) – best to use are Jonothans or Granny Smith
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 – 1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise & scraped) (optional, but amazing!)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 c. apple cider or apple juice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 T. flour
For the topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter (melted)
1. Using small sharp knife, slice open vanilla bean and scrape seeds into the granulated sugar.
2. Toss the apples with the sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg, apple cider, and 2 T. flour.
3. Mix the 1 1/2 c. flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter together.
4. Place the apple mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and add the topping.
5. Bake at 350 until it is bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 40 minutes.